Silgan Containers Corporation Toolmaker / Mold Technician in Grandview, Missouri
Technician will be responsible for the repair and maintenance of complex multi-cavity molds with various types of hot runner systems. Analyzes mold condition for preventative maintenance using check sheets, QA reports, pull shots and visual inspection. Operates machine tools to fabricate and repair mold components, fixtures and gauges.
SAFETY & ENVIRONMENTAL:
All employees are expected to act in a safe manner at all times and ensure that those around them do not put themselves or others at risk. Everyone is personally accountable for his/her own safety as well as their co-workers. Safety and health is a shared responsibility of everyone in the organization and a condition of employment. We value and expect engagement out of all employees.
Co-workers share the responsibility for doing the right thing for the environment and carrying out the stewardship principles addressed in our Environmental Policy. We will provide the resources necessary to implement this policy, and management will conduct periodic reviews to ensure its ongoing effectiveness.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
· Understands how an injection mold comes apart and goes together and how it functions.
· Has experience with various hot runner types and manufacturers.
· Analyze problems with molded parts and determine what/how to repair.
· Identify and replace or repair parts of molds that are defective.
· Fit up cores, cavities, ejector pins and moving parts within .0005 clearance.
· Read and understand prints showing complex parts and assemblies.
· Assign tasks for apprentices and utility workers and oversee their work.
· Clean all plates, cavities/cores and moving parts of mold with Ultrasonic cleaner and solvents.
· Make out layout sheets, mold repair tags and log all repairs in shop log.
· Make new parts for molds according to print and grind stock before heat-treating.
· Finish parts to print dimensions.
· Heat treat parts to specifications per print.
· Make holding fixtures and gauges for grinding and/or machining for other departments.
· Figure stack-up dimension of parts.
· Plug and bore gauge hole diameters.
· Trig angles for grinding and machining.
· Indicate parts on shop equipment.
· Sets up and operates machine tools such as manual lathe, milling machine, and grinders, to machine parts, and verifies conformance of machined parts to specifications.
· Lifts machined parts, positions and secures parts on surface plate or worktable.
· Verifies dimensions, alignments and clearances.
· Connects wiring and hydraulic lines to install electrical and hydraulic components.
· Must follow all work rules and policies
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactory manner. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
Requires a high school diploma or its equivalent.
Also, a four-year apprenticeship or its equivalent plus four years or more of experience in the construction, alteration or repair of complicated tools, molds and gauges to meet standards.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms. The employee frequently is required to walk. The employee is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and talk or hear. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 50 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 100 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move more than 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works near moving mechanical parts. The employee is frequently exposed to fumes or airborne particles. The employee occasionally works in high, precarious places and is occasionally exposed to toxic or caustic chemicals and risk of electrical shock. The noise level in the work environment is that which hearing protection will be required
Requisition ID: 9132