Benson Industries, Inc. Tool & Die Designer in Hazelwood, Missouri
MiTek® USA Inc., a subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway, Inc. is the world's leading supplier of state-of-the-art, engineered connector products, engineering services, and computer-driven machinery for the building component industry. We provide the industry's most advanced, most comprehensive, and most innovative software for design and manufacturing. Our products and services are backed up by a team of industry professionals whoare dedicated to one goal – making our customers successful.
We are seeking a dynamic and motivated Tool & Die Designer who is responsible for designing progressive dies that produce high-speed precision parts. Manage activities in design, detail, assembly, tryout and debugging with our toolmakers. This role will work closely with Tool room personnel, and production to create new products and streamline current production techniques.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Excellent mechanical aptitude, an understanding of electronic sensor technology and good theoretical/practical knowledge of metal forming processes.
- Ability to design jigs, fixtures, and gauges for use in Production and Quality Control.
- Determines sequence and number of die stages in which single or progressive cutting, punching, and forming will be accomplished, and type of die sets required to produce complete part, based on knowledge of dies, forming processes, and machines.
- Design and draft all detail drawings for replacement parts as needed and complete build of Die Tool. This to include “allowances” and “tolerances” engineered into details so parts can be interchanged on common tooling.
- Drafts scale drawings of each die set, delineating contours and dimensions for manufacture of die.
- Extensive design and development collaboration with our Research and Development.
- Attendance at work during the regularly scheduled shift is an essential duty. This includes, but is not limited to the ability to work overtime as required, to be present at work, arrive on time and be at the work station ready for work at the start of the shift.
- Interpret blueprints and measure parts and products to verify conformance to specifications.
- Perform in a manufacturing environment and should have the ability to communicate and work effectively with internal customers (various departments within the manufacturing plant).
- Responsible for coordinating with external customers (vendors) on scope of work, quotes, outsourcing, supplies, etc.
- Knowledge of Tool Room Equipment, Press Line Equipment, Process Control, and Die Tools.
- Demonstrate knowledge of Mathematics, Metal use, Metal properties, and Heat Treatment.
- Work both individually, and at times within a team environment, possess the ability to problem solve a variety of tooling related issues.
- Develop, recommend, and implement measures to improve production methods, equipment performance, and quality of product.
- Required to design piece part drawing for future product or revision of existing product; from piece part, design and/or collaborate with Die Tool builder stock strip in which to produce progressive Die Tool.
- Safety: Must have an outstanding safety record and follow all safety policies and procedures.
- Participate in safety training and meetings.
- Maintain clean and safe work area.
- Report all injuries/accidents near misses immediately to supervisor or a member of management.
- Report all unsafe acts and conditions.
- Use equipment and materials properly.
- Demonstrate knowledge of OSHA standards and applicability to Stamping Operations.
- Quality: Demonstrate accuracy and thoroughness. Monitor own work to ensure quality. Apply feedback to improve performance. Look for ways to improve and promote quality.
- Quantity: Meet productivity standards without diminishing quality of work. Strive to increase productivity. Work at keeping waste down. Complete work in a timely manner.
- Dependability: Take responsibility for own action. Commit to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals. Willing to work overtime whenever necessary. Follow instructions, responds to management directions.
- Initiative: Readily volunteers. Undertake self-development activities. Seek increased responsibilities. Take independent action. Ask for and offer assistance whenever needed.
- Problem Solving: Identify and resolve problems in a timely manner. Gather and analyze information skillfully. Develop alternative solutions. Work well in group problem solving situations. Use reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
- Motivation: Sets and achieve challenging goals. Demonstrate persistence and overcome obstacles. Measure self against standard of excellence. Take calculated risks to accomplish goals.
- Ability to interact professionally with others; including co-workers, vendors and customers.
SKILLS & ABILITIES**
Education and/or Experience
- Strong computer skills, including Excel, Word, AutoCAD and Solidworks are a must.
- 5+ years of Tool and Die Design experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
* *Language Skills:
Effectively communicate with co-workers and management regarding work.
Read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Write routine reports and correspondence.
Demonstrate knowledge of material qualities, performance, and heat treat properties.
Apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed written or oral instructions. Comprehend job training and safety instructions. Work with problems involving variables and apply sound reasoning.
Other Skills and Abilities: Skilled in operations of all measuring equipment. Has skill in use of all machine tools. Has knowledge of all Die Tooling, Stamping Presses and Process Control. Work without supervision and under stressful situations.
Associate has knowledge of blueprint reading, heat treating, material specification, and production methods.
MiTek is an E-Verify and Drug and Tobacco-Free Workplace We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Tracking Code: P11369
Job Location: Hazelwood, Missouri, United States
Position Type: Full-Time/Regular