Cosma International Weld Technician in Liberty, Missouri
LMV Automotive is a subsidiary of Cosma International, which is owned by Magna International Inc., the world's fourth-largest supplier of automobile parts.
Supports manufacturing by improving department efficiency in a safe, high quality and productive manner, and is accountable for quality and housekeeping goals by following through on issues from start to finish and insure the corrective action is in place. Will work with all the supporting departments insuring all corrections needed are being addressed.
- Perform Non-Destructive Testing (NDT) and analysis of spot welds using Ultra Sonic weld inspection equipment.
- Perform correlation of NDT and destructive testing to ensure valid NDT results.
- Develop work instructions and training requirements for NDT.
- Perform Destructive testing and analysis of spot welds using air chisels as needed.
- Cut, polish, and etch weld cross-sections for arc weld processes per control plan sample size and frequencies.
- Perform inspections and or verify that inspected work and maintained records conform to all applicable standards, codes and customer requirements.
- Ensure the Weld Destruct team is appropriately trained and work together on evaluation. 8 .Maintain Customer required Weld Documentation and action plans for required improvements.
- Enter inspection results into the computer based on inspection documents and produce detailed reports.
- Support engineering in the APQP process.
- Verify the welding equipment to be used for work is appropriate to the welding procedure and is capable of producing the specified welds.
- Ensure welding operations are performed as specified and in accordance with applicable procedures and specifications.
- Perform welder set-ups, create weld documents and reports.
- Perform consumable life studies, EMP’s, schedule optimization, weld lobe and stepper development.
- Work with production and maintenance on trouble shooting and corrections for everyday weld issues and everyday process issues.
- Perform basic robot programming and weld touch ups as needed on a daily basis.
- Audit weld processes to keep control and maintain Weld Set-up Sheets.
- Responsible for communicating weld related issues from shift to shift.
- Interpret weld drawings and other inspection documents and specifications.
- Ensure welders, welding operators and tackers are properly trained and qualified in accordance with applicable codes, standards or procedures, and their qualifications permit them to use welding procedures specified for the work.
- Ensure only specified and properly qualified welding practices are used.
- Lead and conduct training for production associated in MIG and TIG welding practices and procedures as requested by the Weld Engineer.
- Maintain close communication with Engineers, Weld Inspectors, QA technicians and production employees.
- Conduct shift carry over with other employees and communicate weld issues.
- Perform assembly line first off inspections for 100% weld validation and corrective action procedure on all programs. a.Support Quality Technicians with fixture checks as needed. b.Check all products running and make sure first off and daily part inspections are being completed as required. c.Make appropriate decisions on discrepant welds and elevate the decision to the Quality Manager and Weld Engineer when necessary. d.Initiate containments as required and maintain responsibility for containments until a clear report on the status is completed to pass on to the regular QA Tech. 26.Follows and supports LMV Automotive System’s and Magna’s operating principles, including: a. Magna Employee Charter – Operating under its principles by treating all employees equally, fairly and with dignity and respect. b.Open Door Policy – Solves issues with two-way, open and friendly communication. c. 5S – Maintains and promotes good housekeeping by following the philosophy “Everything has a place. Everything in its place”. d. Safety First - Obey the plant’s safety rules and procedures by wearing PPE at all times and immediately addressing all safety concerns. Promotes an environment where zero injuries are the expected standard. e. Company quality and environmental policies. f. Core values – Treat all employees equally, fairly, with dignity and respect, without favoritism in accordance with company values.
Knowledge and Education
High School diploma or GED
2 year Welding Technician Associate’s degree or Industrial Maintenance Certificate (or equivalent work experience).
Must have 8000 OJT hours in related field.
Must have experience with Arc Welding and Resistance Welding application.
Must attend Resistance Welding Inspection and Ultra Sonic NTD courses, receive and maintain NDT certification.
Above average computer skills.
Support and comply with all TS16949 & ISO14001 procedures and work instructions.
Support a safe and healthful work environment that is free of recognized hazards for all employees, contractors and visitors.
Cooperate with all local, state and federal agencies, such as OSHA or the EPA, in the event of an inspection.
Know and follow all applicable EH&S; Policies and Procedures.
Skills and Competencies
Must maintain AWS Welding Inspector Certification.
Able to demonstrate understanding of how job performance affects product quality and customer satisfaction.
Able to work well with others; build and maintain positive employee relations.
Able to prepare, read and interpret written reports, instructions, procedures and guidelines.
Able to work well with power cutting tools, torches, air chisels, and Ultra Sonic weld inspection equipment.
Able to effectively present information and respond to questions from management, employees, suppliers and customers.
Able to maintain confidentiality, and use discretion and tact.
Able to manage and schedule multiple priorities and meet deadlines with minimum direct supervision.
Able to work flexible hours and overtime.
Able to calculate figures and amounts, such as percentages and proportions.
Able to effectively use computer and software as required.
Must be able to work in various locations within and outside the manufacturing plant.
Must be able to rotate working shifts and weekend overtime to meet department requirements with a minimum amount of supervision.
Exposed regularly to elements such as temperature and noise.
Safety precautions to be observed in the maintenance and installation of electronic and mechanical equipment.
Must be comfortable with working at heights and within confined spaces.
Must be able to perform physical activities, such as, but not limited to, lifting equipment (up to 40 lbs. unassisted), bending, standing, climbing or walking.
Must be able to safely use manual tools and power equipment common in the construction trades.
Must be able to handle hazardous materials safely and tolerate exposure to electrical and other environmental hazards.
Group: Cosma International
Division: LMV Automotive Systems
Job Type: Regular